Data Platform Lead Engineer - IoT/Clean Energy
Exciting opportunity with a well-funded, high tech startup in the IoT and clean energy space. The Director of Software is hiring their first Data Platform Lead.
This company was founded after 10 years of research by the founder himself. Their electric motor is patented and drastically reduces energy costs by having a microchip at the "brain" of the motor which allows users to cut costs related to space conditioning, refrigeration, and maintenance - while also having a programmable IoT controls package that easily integrates with large-scale electric systems. It has many uses including autonomous/electric vehicles and corporate buildings/campuses.
The Data Platform Lead will define architecture and implement ingestion pipelines and a data store for all incoming motor data. This product was brought to market last year after four years of R&D. The “cloud team” is responsible for all software analytics on top of this core product.
Tech includes Golang, Python, AWS, InfluxDB, and TensorFlow, but the Director of Software is looking for strong engineers with startup experience that have a generalist skill-set.
It's a ground-floor opportunity and definitely a startup to watch in 2019!
Required Skills & Experience
- Ability to define architecture and lead development independently of data platform from scratch
- Utilize existing tools but also draw on own experience to advise on best technologies, architecture, etc. – ability to implement new technologies that will be sensible for the business need
- Experience with microservices-based architecture
- Experience with NoSQL data stores
- Understanding of AWS cloud environment
- Proficiency in Python, Java, Scala, Clojure, Golang, or similar
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
Desired Skills & Experience
- Passion for clean energy
- Experience in IoT industry
- Experience in lead, staff, principal, or hands-on management role in a startup environment
- Ability to work closely with DevOps – or direct experience with Kubernetes and Docker
What You Will Be Doing
- Python/Golang – room for other languages based on your experience
- Expected – Spark, Kafka, Flink, TensorFlow, and similar data related technologies
- 100% hands-on – building data platform from scratch
- Team collaboration required in startup environment
- Competitive base salary
- Strong equity package
- One block from 16th/Mission BART Station in the Mission (San Francisco)
- Great office on quiet street with ample space, tall ceilings, living room area, good separation for private working spaces, and a large garage door for fresh air in the summers!
- Fun team that enjoys group outings and company outings
- Benefits, startup perks, modern tech – typical benefits of a Silicon Valley startup